Many members of EAA Chapter 1279 are involved in building and flying experimental aircraft as well as owning,flying and maintaining certified aircraft. This chapter has built a vintage Pietenpol aircraft from scratch as a chapter workshop project. We are in the process of adding information on all member owned or built aircraft so please check back to these pages frequently.
Member aircraft and projects
1. Steve Williamson and Peter Griffiths Corvair powered Pietenpol. This aircraft was built during EAA Chapter 1279's Saturday morning workshops during the early 2000's. Photos and building information is available by following the link . Pietenpol link
2. Dave McPhee is building a Continental O-200 powered Fly Baby. It is mostly complete and covered. Wings are in hangar at French Valley airport and expected to be installed next month.
3. Jerry Trapp has completed the restoration work on his 1978 Piper PA38-112 Tomahawk. The aircraft is now back in flying condition. The restoration included the installation of a Garmin 430 GPS and 24 month IFR certification. The aircraft is now located at Fallbrook Airpark (L18) in a shade hangar. An ADS-B Out system was installed in March 2019.
1978 Piper PA38-112 Tomahawk owned by Jerry Trapp and Michael McEwen.
4. Marshal Whatley is building a Sonex with VW power. The aircraft is mostly completed and the first engine start and run-up was successfully completed on July 28, 2018. You can view the video of the occasion by clicking on the following YouTube link. Click here for Sonex first start video w/sound.
5. Will Hartsell is building a Van's RV-12 at his home. He reports that iyt is coming along nicely and is reporting his progress at each chapter monthly meeting.
6. Dan Casier is building a plans built Sonex at his home. His latest report indicates that he has completed most all of the individual parts and has begun assembly. Dan brought the assembled vertical stabilizer for some show and tell at the July chapter meeting and expects to continue brings additional samples of his work to all future meeting. We all look forward to seeiing his progress in person each month.
7. Ken Smith is building a Corvair engine powered scale Spitfire from plans. The aircraft is mostly completed with engine mounted at his hangar at French Valley airport.
Please check back here often as updates and maybe some photos will be posted as they become available.